Controlling the target quality of WebRTCSInk

Hi Folks.

I am trying to increase the default config of the WebRTCSink plug in, to improve visual quality at 1080p60.
I did fiddle with the start-bitrate but it seemed like it ended up looking the same anyway after a while.
So I wanted to try forcing vp9 (I presume its using vp8 by default).

I tried this:
gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! video/x-raw, width=1920, height=1080 ! videoconvert ! webrtcsink name=ws congestion-control=homegrown meta=“meta,name=Test” video-caps=“video/x-vp9”

But what I get out of that is here: http://www.gallery.co.uk/vp9.png

I am not entirely sure this is the right way to force the codec, so apologies if this is simply wrong.

Any ideas ?

This is the correct way to force VP9 yes, I suspect you also have some unrelated packet loss. You may want to control how video scaling is performed or the quality preset of the encoder, here’s an example for how to do so: net/webrtc/examples/webrtcsink-high-quality-tune.rs · main · GStreamer / gst-plugins-rs · GitLab

Thanks Mathieu

On vp9 - could you confirm this same gst-launch line works ok for you with vp9 ?

On the topic of the quality preset how could I pass the x264 preset using gst-launch-1.0 ?

Thanks again for responding.

VP9 worked fine last I tested yes. There is no way to specify an x264 preset using gst-launch-1.0, as you may see when consulting gst-inspect-1.0 .