Build Gstreamer from git on Ubuntu with meson

Hi,
i am trying to build Gstreamer on my ubuntu maschine. I cant’t do anything with the following error message. Can anyone help me with this ? Why is this header file missing ?

[1/2175] Compiling C object subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/libsysprof-capture-4.a.p/mapped-ring-buffer.c.o
FAILED: subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/libsysprof-capture-4.a.p/mapped-ring-buffer.c.o
cc -Isubprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/libsysprof-capture-4.a.p -Isubprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture -I…/subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture -I/home/ubuntu/Desktop/GStreamer/gst-build/builddir -fvisibility=hidden -fdiagnostics-color=always -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -Winvalid-pch -Wextra -std=gnu11 -O2 -g -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200809L -Wcast-align -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wformat-nonliteral -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wnested-externs -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-cast-function-type -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wswitch-default -Wswitch-enum -Wuninitialized -Werror=format-security -Werror=format=2 -Werror=empty-body -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=pointer-arith -Werror=init-self -Werror=int-conversion -Werror=misleading-indentation -Werror=missing-include-dirs -Werror=overflow -Werror=return-type -Werror=shadow -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=undef -fstack-protector-strong -fPIC -pthread -DSYSPROF_CAPTURE_COMPILATION -MD -MQ subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/libsysprof-capture-4.a.p/mapped-ring-buffer.c.o -MF subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/libsysprof-capture-4.a.p/mapped-ring-buffer.c.o.d -o subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/libsysprof-capture-4.a.p/mapped-ring-buffer.c.o -c …/subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/mapped-ring-buffer.c
…/subprojects/sysprof/src/libsysprof-capture/mapped-ring-buffer.c:21:10: fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory
21 | #include “config.h”

What Ubuntu version is this?

Are you building GStreamer from git (monorepo) or the gstreamer core tarball? (Looks like the latter?)

It sounds like it’s pulling in the Meson subproject/wrap build for things that should be installed/installable via system packages (and I suspect it’s pulled in via the glib subproject wrap).

To be sure, the bug is in the sysprof wrap, not in GStreamer, so we can’t fix it and it’s not even a direct dependency of GStreamer.

But you should probably install dependencies from your system packages with e.g.

$ sudo apt build-dep gstreamer1.0 gst-plugins-base1.0 gst-plugins-good1.0 gst-plugins-ugly1.0 gst-plugins-bad1.0

or so (this will also install gstreamer itself, but those you can remove again if the desktop doesn’t need them)

1 Like

Or at the very least just:

1 Like

I have Ubuntu 22.04.
After installing the build-dep and activating the SoruceCode Check Box in (Software & Updates) the compilation is running. Thanks for your help.