Dynamically record video

Hi, I’m displaying a video from v4l2src in a waylandsink and while I’m doing that I want to dynamically record the video to an mp4. I want to allow a user provided input to determine when to start recording to an mp4 and when to stop the recording. The recording pipeline I’m currently using is:
gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! vpuenc_h264 ! h264parse ! mp4mux ! filesink location=sample.mp4 -e

I tried connecting the recording pipeline to a tee and then deleting it when I’m done recording and I was able to get video to record but that approach causes problems after starting and stopping recording multiple times. Does anyone know a way I can approach this, preferably by just pausing the recording section of the pipeline?

You may try intervideo elements for splitting into 3 separate pipelines such as:

import time
import gi
gi.require_version('Gst', '1.0')
from gi.repository import Gst, GObject

Gst.init(None)

# Video source pipeline
p1 = Gst.parse_launch ('videotestsrc is-live=1 ! video/x-raw,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1 ! timeoverlay ! intervideosink channel=videosrc')
if not p1:
	print('Failed to launch p1')
	exit(-1)

# Video display pipeline
p2 = Gst.parse_launch ('intervideosrc channel=videosrc ! queue ! videoconvert ! autovideosink')
if not p2:
	print('Failed to launch p2')
	exit(-1)

# Recording pipeline
p3 = Gst.parse_launch ('intervideosrc channel=videosrc ! queue ! videoconvert ! x264enc ! h264parse ! queue ! qtmux ! filesink location=record.mp4')
if not p3:
	print('Failed to launch p3')
	exit(-1)

print('Starting p1 & p2')
p1.set_state(Gst.State.PLAYING)
p2.set_state(Gst.State.PLAYING)

# Run for 3s 
time.sleep(3)

print('Starting p3')
p3.set_state(Gst.State.PLAYING)
# Run for 5s 
time.sleep(5)

print('Pausing p3')
p3.set_state(Gst.State.PAUSED)
# Wait for 3s
time.sleep(3)

print('Restarting p3')
p3.set_state(Gst.State.PLAYING)
# Run for 5s 
time.sleep(5)

print('Sending EOS')
bus = p3.get_bus()
Gst.Element.send_event(p3, Gst.Event.new_eos())
msg = bus.timed_pop_filtered(Gst.CLOCK_TIME_NONE, Gst.MessageType.EOS | Gst.MessageType.ERROR)
if msg.type == Gst.MessageType.ERROR:
	print('An error occured, video may not be correct')

print('stopping')
p3.set_state(Gst.State.NULL)
p2.set_state(Gst.State.NULL)
p1.set_state(Gst.State.NULL)

exit(0)