As part of the ongoing effort to provide better tooling and services for the GStreamer community at wide, there is now a Matrix instance for GStreamer available at https://matrix.to/#/#community:gstreamer.org . You can join using a matrix client and a matrix account (the GStreamer instance does not provide account creation).
The decision comes after discussions that took place during the GStreamer conference/hackfest and discussions here : A replacement for IRC . But the summary is that Matrix provides a modern chat system with features people expect in this day and age, while not being a closed silo.
There are already some rooms up:
- General Discussion The main discussion channel
- GStreamer newcomers for those new to GStreamer
- GStreamer Releases for preparing releases
- Rust GStreamer for the crustaceous multimedians
- Python GStreamer for the pythonistas
- Sysadmin and service support for discussions and questions on the services behind gstreamer.org (matrix, discourse, mail, …)
- And more rooms will be made available on a as-needed basis
Note that a client with support for spaces and threads is recommended (but not mandatory).
In terms of the OFTC IRC channel, it will remain bridged to matrix (2/3 users in
#gstreamer on IRC are already accessing it via Matrix), but we recommend switching over to using the above matrix rooms since:
- They provide the full matrix experience (history, threads, search, emojis, calls,…)
- They offer more rooms than the (single) IRC room
- Using the IRC bridge requires you to handle IRC commands if you wish to join/speak there (NickServ)
- The IRC bridge isn’t maintained by the GStreamer community and we cannot guarantee it will always be around/up.