Rust crate - Install from binaries and plugins

Hello,

pretty new to the GStreamer and followed the install instruction on windows and MacOS and successfully installed the base elements from the binaries (pkg on MacOS and msi on windows + on both setting env variables).

Now i’m trying to understand how GStreamer work by the command line and i successfully transcoded a file to MP4 for example but when i tried x265 i’m missing the plugin. From what i understand it’s in the bad plugins package. But how am i supposed to install this on Mac and Windows?

gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin uri=file:///Users/arnaudjezequel/Documents/video.mov ! videoconvert ! \x265enc bitrate=4980 ! mp4mux ! filesink location=/Users/arnaudjezequel/Documents/video.mp4

We currently don’t ship x265enc as part of our binary packages, but there might be other H.265 encoders available that are mac/windows specific, such as e.g. vtenc_h265, vtenc_h265_hw, or mfh265enc (from memory).

Thanks! I uderstand surely because of the legal issues.
FYI we still see it in the documentation:
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/x265/index.html?gi-language=c

Package – GStreamer Bad Plug-ins

And mfh265enc seems also to be in the bad plugins:
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/mediafoundation/mfh265enc.html?gi-language=c

Follow-up question: Where can i find the binary packages + devel packages for supported plugins (good/bad/ugly…)? I looked into the repo but did not find it.

macOS

We recommend using the official GStreamer binaries over Homebrew, especially as GStreamer in Homebrew is currently broken.

GStreamer Binaries

You need to download the two .pkg files from the GStreamer website and install them, e.g. gstreamer-1.0-1.20.4-universal.pkg and gstreamer-1.0-devel-1.20.4-universal.pkg.
After installation, you also need to set the PATH environment variable as follows

$ export PATH="/Library/Frameworks/GStreamer.framework/Versions/1.0/bin${PATH:+:$PATH}"

I guess it fell out of the “there is no dumb question” :sweat_smile:

Check here.

Thanks, but those are without the plugins right? (good/bad/ugly)

No, they contain everything.