Whipsink cannot be found after install

Hi,

I’m trying to install the whipsink from GStreamer / gst-plugins-rs · GitLab. I followed the build process and move the .so and .a file to the dir /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu where I think most other plugins are located. But when I try gst-inspect-1.0 | grep whipsink, there is always no result. I’m not sure if moving the files to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu correct. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Not sure for your rs case, though you might try cleaning gstreamer cache:

# Get the cache file for your current case
ls ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry.*.bin

# The result depends on your platform. Then delete it:
rm ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry.<what_is_your_arch>.bin

# Then recreate the cache and tell about blacklisted plugins:
gst-inspect-1.0 --version -b

This is almost correct (for a GStreamer installed into /usr prefix like the system packages are), but not quite :slightly_smiling_face:

GStreamer libraries with public API will go into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu but GStreamer plugins go into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/ (or ~/.local/share/gstreamer-1.0/plugins/). Both have .so file endings on Linux.

You can check if the plugin works right in principle by running gst-inspect-1.0 on it with the absolute path to the plugin. If that works fine, then it’s only a directory/search path issue and putting it into the right folder should fix it.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I tried to inspect it with abs path, I got the following output

Plugin Details:
  Name                     cdg
  Description              GStreamer CDG codec Plugin
  Filename                 /home/yutong/gstreamer-1.0/libgstcdg.so
  Version                  0.13.0-alpha.1-a87eaa4b
  License                  MIT/X11
  Source module            gst-plugin-cdg
  Documentation            https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/cdg/
  Source release date      2024-04-26
  Binary package           gst-plugin-cdg
  Origin URL               https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-rs

cdg_typefind: cdg
  cdgdec: CDG decoder
  cdgparse: CDG parser

3 features:
  +-- 2 elements
  +-- 1 typefinders

But Im not really sure if whipsink is there and how can I use it with abs path.

Thank you very much

If you move the plugins into the right directory (see above) GStreamer should find them automatically.

Alternatively you can set the GST_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable to make GStreamer look in additional directories for plugins.

its working, thank you very much!!